When you are facing the prospect of making substantial family law decisions about yourself and your family, you need a lawyer to assist you. A lawyer is not simply a courtroom advocate; a lawyer is a trusted and necessary source of information, advice and guidance on the crucial elements of the law that affect the outcome of your case. Going into a family law case without a lawyer could be one of the worst decisions you make in your life.
I operate a broad-based family law practice in Toronto, under the banner of Kathryn L. Smithen, Barrister, Solicitor & Notary Public. Among the many factors that distinguish me, my practice and my value to clients are my personal story and my passionate dedication to those I represent.
Working For Your Interests
My dedication to family law litigants started in law school, where I worked with the Family Law Project located in the Ontario Court of Justice and the Superior Courts of Justice in Brampton and Toronto. I assisted self-represented litigants in the preparation of court documents such as emergency motions for custody and access, variations of child support and detailed financial statements. I regularly helped good people under enormous personal stress during these volunteer assignments.
Prior to embarking on a legal career, I obtained an undergraduate degree in journalism (my major was in broadcast), a graduate degree in law and spent more than 14 years as a self-represented litigant in my own family law case. From this experience, I gained not only irreplaceable experience for my eventual role as a lawyer, but also a full understanding of the importance of legal representation in family law matters.
Full Spectrum Of Family Law Services
My practice includes issues related to:
- Divorce, division of property and matrimonial home issues
- Child and spousal support disputes, variation proceedings including termination of support issues
- Custody and access concerns, variation proceedings and mobility issues
- Enforcement of support orders
- Paternity issues
- Domestic violence and restraining orders
- Child protection
- Separation agreements, prenuptial/marriage contracts and cohabitation agreements for both opposite-sex and same-sex couples
- Imputing income to spouses with unreported income and minimizing of tax implications of asset transfers during relationship changes
As a lawyer committed to effective representation of my clients, I will work with you to best represent your interests in negotiations with the other side, or in a courtroom.
Contact Kathryn L. Smithen, Barrister, Solicitor & Notary Public
To schedule an appointment with me to discuss divorce, child custody, support issues or the negotiation of marriage agreements, kindly contact my office online or by calling 647-496-2765, 800-392-9043 toll free.