Operating in Toronto as Kathryn L. Smithen, Barrister, Solicitor & Notary Public, I maintain a comprehensive family law practice. Whether you are seeking separation, divorce, custody or access, the enforcement or renegotiation of a child or spousal support arrangement or a new agreement with your partner, I can help.
Regardless of your circumstances, a family law matter is never simple, and the consequences for taking a wrong turn will affect you and your family for years. As a trained advocate focused exclusively on family law, I use my legal training to help you arrive at the solution that works best for you. Among my services are:
- Custody and access arrangements as part of a separation agreement or divorce proceedings, and negotiation of changes to these arrangements in the years following relationship breakdown
- Child and spousal support agreements between former spouses, and variation and enforcement of such agreements
- All issues related to divorce, both uncontested and contested
- Property division as part of separation, divorce or an arrangement prior to or during marriage
- Representation in cases of family violence, including domestic abuse. I also represent clients who seek the establishment and enforcement of a restraining order.
- All issues related to the breakdown of common law marriage, including co-parenting agreements and division of financial assets
- Cohabitation and marriage agreements for couples in committed relationships
As someone with firsthand experience with the significant challenges faced by a person who goes it alone in the family court system, I recommend against self-representation in family law and encourage people to learn how a lawyer can help them. My services as a lawyer are of substantial benefit to you as you make important choices about your family's future.
Contact A Lawyer About Ontario Family Court And Legal Issues Related To Separation
To schedule an appointment about family law in Toronto and other services I provide, contact my office online or by calling 647-496-2765, 800-392-9043 toll free.