Jump to Navigation

Toronto Child Custody Lawyer

Many parents want to shield their children from the stressful aspects of divorce or separation. Arrangements for their care, decisions about their well-being and place of residence are an essential part of the legalities surrounding relationship breakdown and a primary concern for parents and the courts. For many former spouses, established child care arrangements will change as children grow older and as parents change their place of residence and take on other responsibilities. A lawyer can help you plan for today and tomorrow in terms of where your children will live.

When you are planning the care of your children, you need a lawyer. A lawyer can make sure parenting arrangements are appropriate, whether negotiated in the wake of separation or subsequently in the midst of litigation. As someone who has been through the family law system before starting my Toronto legal practice under the banner of Kathryn L. Smithen, Barrister, Solicitor & Notary Public, I know the value of legal representation in establishing an appropriate and just custody arrangement. Solid, practical advice and steadfast advocacy is what I offer clients. Also, as the parent of an adult child who was the subject of a shared custody agreement, I have firsthand knowledge of what a child faces when his/her parents split up.

My goal is always to assist my clients in negotiating and obtaining custody arrangements/orders that are child-focused.

You Need Guidance When Making Decisions About Your Children's Future.

Parents are often confused by the terminology that the family law system uses to describe parenting arrangements. Custody does not refer to place of residence; rather, it refers to who has the authority to make important decisions about the children. Access refers to the time parents spend with the children.

Custody and access arrangements may be negotiated. When former spouses do not agree on what custody or access should be, they have recourse to bring an application in the courts. As your lawyer, I can help you take whatever steps are necessary to find a solution that is best for your child. If you want to pursue the path of negotiation, I can act on your behalf. If negotiation is not possible or is unsuccessful, I will be your committed and decisive advocate in court.

Contact Me For Advice Regarding Child Access And Parenting Plans In Ontario

To schedule an appointment with a Toronto lawyer regarding child custody, child or spousal support or other issues related to divorce, contact my office online or by calling 647-496-2765, 800-392-9043 toll free.


Email Your Questions

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

About Kathryn L. Smithen

As your advocate, I will do what it takes to help you understand and deal with the pressures of the process. I will speak, negotiate and advocate on your behalf to help minimize your stress in addition to resolving your legal dispute. I will be caring and sensitive. As your lawyer, I will always tailor my approach to meet your specific needs.

Learn More About Kathryn >>>