Jump to Navigation

Toronto Child And Spousal Support Lawyer

When you have separated from your spouse, you may be concerned most about finances. You may have legitimate cause to worry about how your own economic needs and those of your children will be met post-separation. Even after an initial support order has been established, you may face challenges if your former spouse does not pay according to his/her court-ordered obligations or if your circumstances change and the arrangement/order needs to be varied.

When your needs are complex and directly affect the stability of your children's life and yours, you need a lawyer. A lawyer can provide you with the advocacy and strategic information that makes sure you have the child and spousal support your family requires. Also, in the day and age of the Family Responsibility Office, it is crucial in Ontario that your support Order is drafted properly if you want it to be enforced properly. At my practice, run in Toronto under the banner of Kathryn L. Smithen, Barrister, Solicitor & Notary Public, I tell my clients that knowing how to fill out forms is simply not enough especially where support is involved. You need a lawyer to get you an enforceable Order.

Helping You To Establish, Modify And Enforce Support Orders

Child support in Ontario follows established, non-negotiable federal guidelines. Spousal support entitlement, by contrast, depends on many factors that take into account the roles played by each spouse during the relationship and both spouses' relative economic stability. Support can be negotiated as part of a separation agreement or decided upon as part of a divorce court process.

Once an Order is in place, parents and former spouses are expected to uphold their responsibilities. When this does not happen, legal action to enforce payment is possible. As a trained lawyer whose experience assisting self-represented family law litigants gives her particular insight into this issue, I can help you to establish, enforce or modify the support arrangement in a way that works best for your family. Also, as a litigant in my own family law matters, I dealt extensively with the Family Responsibility Office. I know what they are looking for in order to enforce your child support order.

Contact Me For Advice On Child And Spousal Support Law In Ontario

A spousal and child support lawyer can ensure you have the full benefit of your entitlement to support under the law. As an individual with both personal and professional experience with the family law system, I can help.

To schedule an appointment with regards to alimony, child support or custody, contact my office online or by calling 647-496-2765, 800-392-9043 toll free.


Email Your Questions

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

About Kathryn L. Smithen

As your advocate, I will do what it takes to help you understand and deal with the pressures of the process. I will speak, negotiate and advocate on your behalf to help minimize your stress in addition to resolving your legal dispute. I will be caring and sensitive. As your lawyer, I will always tailor my approach to meet your specific needs.

Learn More About Kathryn >>>